COVID-19 Information & Updates
COVID-19 Update 3/23/2020
We would like to update everyone on the library's plans at this time. We are following MSAD 54's lead and will be staying closed through the end of April, planning to re-open on Monday, April 27th. All programs through April are cancelled, though of course we will try to reschedule as many of them as possible once we are closer to reopening. We would appreciate it if everyone would continue to keep their checked out materials at home with them until we are able to reopen. The book return out front is only there for the short term in case you NEED to return your materials immediately for some reason.
This was a hard decision to make, but our aim right now is to help keep our neighbors and our community as safe and healthy as possible.
We will continue to keep our WiFi on 24/7, with log in information posted on the library's doors, and we encourage everyone to continue making the most of all of our online resources, which can be found here https://www.skowhegan.lib.me.us/electronic-databases
We will continue to keep you posted with any future updates here and on our Facebook page.
COVID-19 Update 3/15/2020
In light of MSAD 54 closing and discussion with the Board of Trustees, Skowhegan Free Public Library has decided to take a proactive measure in response COVID-19 pandemic.
• We WILL be open tomorrow, Monday, March 16th for extended hours: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm. We want to ensure that all patrons and community members have ample time to come in to stock up on books, DVDs, and games for the upcoming few weeks. For patrons uncomfortable entering the building, we will offer curbside delivery for the day. You will need to call ahead to place your order, and when you arrive, please call again to let us know to bring your materials to your car door. We are urging individuals to make their visit as brief as possible. To ensure this, we will only have two computers on throughout the day and staff will be prohibiting any prolonged visits.
• On Tuesday, March 17th, the library will be closing until Monday, March 30th. We are asking all patrons to please keep all library materials at home for this closure. There will be no penalty over overdue items.
• Wi-Fi will be kept on during the duration. The log in information will be posted on our front door for anyone who needs access to the internet.
• Visit our website, https://www.skowhegan.lib.me.us/ to access our online resources during the closure. You’ll find access to ebooks, e-audiobooks and many other resources to entertain and inform you.
• Phone, email, and Facebook messenger will be checked daily. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
Please check our Facebook page regularly for updates. As the situation continues to unfold, we will keep everyone updated with our plans. We appreciate that this is a scary and confusing time for many people, but we urge our neighbors to be full of patience and compassion as we all try to find the best course of action.
COVID-19 Update 3/13/2020
To the Skowhegan Community:
As you all likely know, Maine has had its first presumptive case of COVID-19 in Androscoggin County. To do our part and help reduce the potential spread of the virus, the Skowhegan Free Public Library has been following CDC and Maine State Library protocols and suggestions. This is a stressful situation for our community, but the library’s aim is to find the balance between supporting the community and helping maintain social distancing.
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020:
All library programming will be cancelled through the month of March. (We will reevaluate April programming once the time nears.)
The library will temporarily be suspending the use of the conference room by all groups and organizations.
Toys will be removed from the children’s area.
As of now, the library will remain open for its regular hours for individual users unless ordered to close by town or state officials. If the situation worsens or changes, the library reserves the right to alter hours, limit numbers of people in the building, or temporarily close if needed.
Our main concern is the health and safety of our community members and our staff. We have been and will continue to follow CDC suggestions:
Temporarily increase the frequency of cleaning and sanitizing of the facility, especially areas and surfaces that experience the highest use, with the understanding that no amount of reasonable effort can ever guarantee that public places are free of infectious agents
Post signs in restrooms and throughout the building encouraging hand washing and routine practices that help minimize the spread of germs from person to person
Provide public and staff with convenient access to hand sanitizer, hand washing facilities, disinfecting wipes, and facial tissues
Require staff or patrons who are sick to leave the library
We will continue to stay abreast with changes and updates and we will keep you all informed via our website http://www.skowhegan.lib.me.us and our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/skowfree/. The Town office has issued this statement: https://www.skowhegan.org/DocumentCenter/View/4997/COVID-19
and MSAD 54 has released this information on their website: http://www.msad54.org/public
Anyone with questions or concerns can call the library at (207) 474-9072.